Peace Walk to Stop Grand Canal

I was told about a rally against the Grand Canal - a project of President lee Myung-bak, connecting Seoul and Busan. Although I admire his restoration of the Cheonggyecheon stream,
I am not in favor of the 500 KM long river. Environmental impact is one of the issues and definitely there will be displacement of people and their livelihood.

But I came unprepared since I thought it will just be a demonstration, it was late when I learned it is a 12 KM Prayer Walk with an ecumenical group. I did not finish the whole walk since I have a Korean class to attend. So I had a chance to ride the new route of the subway from Dosan (Pyeondong is the end track for now) to Geumnamno.


(foto from BBC website)


Starting off the Peace Walk with a ceremonial bow



River Views






up to a hill for a rest after more than an hour walk (Naju-Gwangju)






starting 'em young, these children without caomplaint finished the 12 km trek








Short break, talk by Mr. Lim Nak Pyong (President/Exec.Director of Korean Federation for Environmental Movement, Gwangju) whom I first met in 2005 in the Philippines on an NGO exchange/study of the environment movements in the Philippines.














youth environment activists from Chonnam University


Photo with Mr. Lim Nak Pyong

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2013 Month of Overseas Filipinos - Davao Regional Forum

Qassia FAQ

Happy Birthday Buddha!